Sunday 24 April 2011

Reminders that I am ill

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night hungry. This is the first time I have felt hungry in weeks (since being admitted for the second infection). I went down for a midnight snack: a bowl of cereals seemed the easiest.

This morning I weigh 82.2kg. Another small rise.

Countering the elation that my appetite might be slowly returning, I have had a couple of reminders that I am still ill ...
  • Each day I inject myself with blood thinner (called deltaparin, brand name Fragmin). This is because I had a clot and they want to keep my blood thin. Yesterday, the puncture from the injection leaked a few drops of blood several hours after the injection. I rang UCH, and they said not to worry, and if it gets worse to come to them, or maybe my local hospital. This morning everything was fine, so yesterday I probably just nicked a capillary.
  • For the last few days I have felt a bit nauseous in the mid-morning. This morning Rose and I went for a walk, and on the way home I felt sick, and vomited. It all happened quite quickly. I guess the after effects of the chemo are still with me. I had stopped taking my anti-sickness drugs, but needless to say I have restarted!
  • Whenever I stand up, I get dizzy unless I stand up very slowly (feels like Alien unfolding itself in the escape pod). This is because I am very anaemic. I forget to stand up slowly about 50% of time!
Being at home is like normal life, but it is not really normal for me. Fortunately, it is still very enjoyable! Today, after the walk, we watched the Badminton cross country on the TV and lazed in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment