Thursday 3 March 2011

Settling in to Ambicare

I slept fitfully, getting used to the hotel I guess. Breakfast was pretty good, maybe even better tomorrow as I now know to order the toast up front! I went across to Ambicare at about 9:30.

Today I had Cytrabine IV, which was up when Rose arrived to visit. Visiting in Ambicare is not ideal; you are in a room with the other patients, and space can be at a premium. Still, it was lovely to have Rose there. She brought some goodies for the hotel, including the DAB radio, but that does not seem to work :( . After the chemotherapy, they gave me 2 units of red cells, each of which took 2 hours to push through. Rose popped out to Sainsbury's to bring back lunch, and left in the afternoon with me still getting blood. We did some crossword clues successfully :)

I learned how to self-inject my fragmin dose, so from now on I will be doing it here in the hotel before I go across. Whilst I was hooked up, the administrator came to tell me she was going to install the alarm in my room, and showed me how it works.

At about 4pm I finally got out of Ambicare, and headed over to the hotel for a kip, as I was exhausted. I noticed there was no alarm as I got into bed. About 5 minutes later the door opened and my nurse and the administrator came in to fit the alarm! I have become so institutionalised that I was not the least surprised when two young ladies entered my room with me in bed! But they were pretty surprised! Fitting the alarm did not go smoothly! There was a problem with the second phone line in the room (I helped them troubleshoot). It took almost an hour, but eventually the alarm was tested and they left.

I crashed out for an hour, before waking, bathing and dining out in Ask (penne pomadora, ciabatta and a beer).

Now I need to take my nighttime drugs, and then and settle down for the night.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment