Wednesday 9 March 2011

Chemotherapy starts again

After two days off, the chemotherapy regime kicked in again today with the next intrathecal treatment of methotrexate. This means a long day in Ambicare. I also had some more red cells to boost my haemoglobin which had fallen back to 8.1.

I slept OK, and because I knew I would be tied up in Ambicare most of the day I bought lunch in Sainsbury's on the way over. The day went more or less as I expected; I received the blood, and about 2:30 had the intrathecal. After the obligatory hour lying down after the procedure I got a voucher and had pre-dinner from the canteen (the usual), before heading back to the hotel to wait for Marilyn who was planning to visit at about 5:30.

My general state of wellbeing is as good as it has been since early January. Even my rest pulse dropped to 65 today (having been up in the high 80's for the last few weeks). I am sure my exertions have helped with this, as well as building some minuscule amount of muscle tone. However, my blood counts are all falling as a result of the chemotherapy, and I have a feeling of living on borrowed time (and some payback is just around the corner). If someone asks how I am, I would say "very seriously ill with leukaemia, but in very good spirits at the moment".

Marilyn arrived as expected, and we sat in the hotel bar, had a beer and chatted for an hour. Shortly after she left, Rose arrived for dinner (and eventually breakfast). For dinner we went to Prezzo, and a jolly good meal we had. I had calamari to start, followed by salmon salad and fries, Rose had salad niçoise. We shared a chocolate fudge cake for pudding. It was very nice, and also a 50% tastecard deal, so very reasonable, despite the wine, beer and brandy we consumed!

Now, back in the room, my drug timetable is tuning a little late - the meal and the company were worth the trouble :)




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment