Wednesday 16 March 2011

Readmitted, for one night only

I write this post from a hospital bed on T16. I have been admitted for one night as a precautionary measure ...

Today was always going to be a busy day. The platelets needed for the intrathecal were a bit late as ever. After the first bag we took blood and the platelet count was not high enough so I had a second unit. Then the doctors told me my coagulation was still not right, and as a precaution they would give me FFP (plasma). This is 4 bags of drip feed. By now it was 1pm, and I told them that bit would never go through in time. However, they were determined to press ahead.

During the morning the ENT doctor came, looked and cauterised the problem vessel in my nose. So at least for the time being this problem is solved.

We put two bags of FFP up at once, but barely half of these were done when we hit the time limit." It's OK", said the doctors, we can do the intrathecal whilst the FFP is on. So, we tried the intrathecal ... and failed. It was also painful, unlike the previous three. The doctors took advice from the neurology registrar, and decided to admit me just in case I have a build up of blood around the spine, which can lead to complications.

It is not possible to say if the failure of the intrathecal was caused by the FFP being incomplete.

So, here I am! It is a real shame, because Rose was staying the night, and now she may as well go home. And she has been rushing around between the hotel, car park and hospital collecting things. As I write, she has very kindly popped to the Chinese for a takeaway. I am very grateful to Rose for being here, and holding my hand (literally). I love her very dearly, as you already know.

My head pain has been bad today as well, so it has been a very difficult day, the worst since I started in Ambicare.

I have no idea what will happen on the morning.

As a footnote, the nurses here in T16 are amazed that I was given platelets as a drip feed (with no pump) to a PICC line - they always use a pump here. I will feed this back to Ambicare next time I see them.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment