Friday 4 March 2011

Making use of my red cells

I slept even worse last night than the night before, eventually I went to breakfast at 7:30 and then crashed out when I got back to my room. My breakfast: scrambled egg, with mushrooms and smoked salmon, with toast (ordered ahead), followed by fresh rolls and thinly sliced cheese selection, followed by a bowl of cereals, followed by a breakfast pastry, washed down with a pot of tea. I would have a fruit plate too (they have good looking fresh fruit), but there never seems to be room!

I woke just before ten, and self-administered my fragmin injection. I was rubbish; it hurt going in and it stung afterwards! I hope to get better at this. Then I made my way over to the Ambicare suite. Not much treatment today, just single IV chemotherapy dose, and then wait for the doctors round. I was free of Ambicare at about 1:30. I tried noodles from the Japanese take away for lunch, but they were not great. The good looking noodles have chicken:(

Whilst in the hospital, I had discussed the etiquette of tipping the nurses with one of the chief nurses, and she said it was OK to do it. So after Ambicare I walked down to the bank, and got some cash for them to have a drink on me. It was quite stressful queuing for the cashier (leg pain), but I wanted to make the most of the extra stamina I have because of getting the red cells yesterday. In fact, I never got out of breath during the whole day, so I think I made a good decision.

After the bank, I went to the hotel for a lie down, and at about 3pm I went back to my old ward - T13. It also proved stressful for my leg, mainly waiting around for the elevator. On the ward I met quite a few of my nurses, and the chief was very chuffed with the donation. In fact, they are planning a night out soon, so this can go into the kitty. After I left them I went to the canteen for some chips using a voucher that we can get from Ambicare ( very average). Finally, I came back to the hotel for a well earned rest.

Rose could not visit today because she was attending a memorial service for a friend of ours. It was a very emotional time for her. We spoke on the phone at about 5pm. Earlier, Jeremy rang for a chat. He is planning to visit early next month (travelling from America); I hope it will be a propitious time to visit.

For dinner, I went tot the other Italian restaurant called Amaretto. I had seafood tagliatelle, and it was very good. Lots of clams, mussels (in their shells - very attractive), tender squid and shrimps, topped off with a king prawn, and served in a rich tomato sauce.

I seem to be food obsessed in this post, but this is my life, so it is just as well you share it. At some point my appetite and taste will probably nose dive, so I am making the most of it while I can!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ian cousin sue I am now a follower on your blog oh no I hear you say after reading todays blog I see a future for you as a food critic!!!If you can put up with us again I am trying to arrange when we can come and see you I will give you plenty of notice (you can always hide)give my regards to Rose

    ReplyDelete