Wednesday 2 March 2011

I am an ambulatory outpatient

Rose's back was not in good shape this morning, so I came into London in a taxi to the outpatients building. I arrived at about quarter to ten, and after some induction and form filling I then waited most of the day for my first treatment. This was mainly because we had to wait for the full blood results which always takes a few hours. So I sat in the comfy chair, listened to music and played some bridge to while away the hours.

At 4pm I had an intrathecal (lumbar puncture) - this cycle has one of these per week. Then I had my first chemotherapy treatment, Cyclophosphamide. The other drugs I will have this time are Cytarabine (IV) and Mercaptopurine which is taken orally. All these are new drugs, with new side effects! The Cyclophosphamide is particularly nasty as it can affect the bladder, so I also take another drug called Mesna to counter this.

At 6pm I left the Ambicare unit (just when it closes) and checked into the hotel. The pharmacist gave me a big bag of drugs to go with the drugs I already had, and a sheet telling me when to take them. Because I had the chemotherapy so late, I have to take some pills at 11pm!

The hotel is pretty nice. I have a quiet room on the 4th floor. At 7pm I went out for dinner to the Indian restaurant nearby. I enjoyed the meal very much; it reminded me of my youth (I ate in Indian restaurants quite a lot). I had popadoms (with relishes), followed by prawn bhuna, tarka Dahl, pilau rice and naan, washed down with a Cobra. It was a lot of food, but I heroically managed it all.

All in all, this Ambicare regime seems like a good thing. I will have about 7 to 10 days of this life before getting neutropenic. My current thinking is that it will be best to transfer to the hospital before I actually go neutropenic.

My leg is certainly stronger, but my anaemia is limiting my ability to walk. On the way home from the restaurant I stopped at Tescos for water and drinks - heavy things, and although it is almost next door to the hotel I was breathless when I got to my room. I think they will give me a unit of red cells tomorrow (I hope).

I am pleased to say that a day of rest has been very good for Rose's back, and she reports a great improvement :) :), so she will visit tomorrow.

Needless to say I open for all visitors; just make sure you ring before you come. It makes sense to meet downstairs I think. I have not explored the public spaces of the hotel, but even if they are inadequate there is a pub nearby!

They say breakfast is good here - I will let you know tomorrow.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Now that's the one thing I really miss about England - really good Indian curry. The rogon josh and chicken vindaloo from the Beer & Curry at Belsize Park was my staple diet for a while. The Butter Chicken at Hampstead Heath was I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete