Wednesday 12 January 2011

A short stroll in the West End

Yesterday one of the nurses reminded me that I will soon be neutropenic, and before it happens I could go out for some fresh air. So, today when Rose arrived we popped out for a stroll down Grafton Way across Tottenham Court Road and on to a small green square called Fitzroy Square. Numerous "blue plaques", one of which showing Virginia Woolf lived there for a couple of years. We called in at Sainsbury's on the way back for a sandwich (which I consumed this afternoon!). Although it was a very short walk, it was quite tiring.

When we got back we settled down to try the next crossword in the book, and it is a stinker. I must admit I resorted to the Internet, and even then we did not make much progress. Some of the answers: "volost", "spermaceti", "decemviri"; only in the Times eh! How many of those words do you know?

Rose left at her normal time, and I rested/struggled on with the crossword. In the evening Marilyn came back, this time armed with some good book recommendations:) for which I am very grateful.

My neutrophil count is coming down (as it should), so I will be prone to infection in the coming days. I still welcome visitors, but may keep my distance a bit more. The nurses tell me that it is more likely to be bacteria that I am carrying myself that will get me rather than anything brought in. But once again, I ask that if you have the slightest hint of a suggestion of a cold then it is better to stay away.

On a cheerier note, I thought I would share some of Rose and my Christmas photos. Some time I will write down our traditions, but for now here is a look at the wine we imbibed this year:



The highlight was definitely the 1998 Bienvenue Batard Montrachet which is a Grand Cru vineyard at Puligny in Burgundy. This is without doubt the finest Chardonnay, if not the finest white wine in the world, and it was truly delicious.

I must inform you that not all these bottles were emptied on the day (the Puligny and the Volnay did not survive), the Champagne and the Sauternes did last a few days more!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:London,United Kingdom

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ian,
    trying again to enter a comment, Marilyn is out (no not at book club film club Xmas meal) So I have to try and do this blogging stuff on my own. I wrote loads earlier then lost it.
    Will try and get Robbie to send you some apps, as he has loads of games I would like on his 'toy' i thing.
    My cold is still with me I suspect it will last months! so will come and visit in the spring.
    The wines all look very nice, but don't suppose you can drink in the hospital. You will have to put your order in for when you get home.
    Take care, see you soon
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Baldy
    Tart and I are looking forward to seeing you on Saturday. You'll be pleased to hear that we have cancelled dinner with my evil stepmother tomorrow night who is claiming to be suffering with MRSA. At least she hasn't started a blog yet :-)
    Do you like historical fiction? I'll bring a couple of old favourites with me in case you're interested.
    Loving the blog, it's now my homepage in the Evil Empire.
    Big love, see you Saturday,
    Pukey
    xx

    ReplyDelete