Sunday 23 January 2011

Blog app crashed again

I just wrote a huge post, but the blog app I use failed to post it and lost the text. I am in contact withe author, he obviously has put lots of bugs in the latest version just to annoy me. He has told me I should be able to recover the document by syncing with a laptop, so I will try tomorrow and see if it works. From now on I am not using the app anymore.

My original post detailed the timetable for my treatment, so hopefully you will get that tomorrow, as well as other details. In the meantime I will just regale you with a story of mineral waters.

I hope you have seen the film "The Player". In it, Tim Robbins plays a Hollywood exec who only drinks mineral water. He is always ordering different brands, and In one scene he sips his water and calls the waiter and says "I ordered Evian, and this is not" or words to that effect.

Well, he was right, not all mineral waters are the same! Rose brings me in mineral water (the hospital tap water is horrid), and between the three brands so far, Volvic is a clear winner. It filters through volcanos in the Auvergne, and it is much "crisper" than e.g. the Highland Spring I am drinking now that tastes a bit cloying. Since I am drinking 1.5 to 2 litres a day of the stuff, it makes a difference.

I had a busy day of visitors, Rose came nice and early armed with her laptop, and we downloaded some pictures and more music. I will use the pictures in an upcoming story, provided the blog app writer can fix his app! Then as a nice surprise Sharon arrived. Sharon and I were at college together, and I introduced her to my old friend Pete (previously mentioned). They married, and I was best man. By coincidence, their son studies at UCL just over the road. A jolly time was had by all. Rose also brought some more of her delicious homemade leek and carrot soup, which proved to be a life saver as lunch was very late. I had the Halal veggie for both lunch and dinner and it is meeting my expectations. Tomorrow I have tried an Afro-Caribbean meal for a change. I will keep you posted!

After the ladies departed, Les came to visit and we played a sort of fantasy card game called "Magic, the Gathering". It is a duel between wizards, very fantasy geeky but great fun. It is well established (20 years), and there are international tournaments and the like, and even rare collectors cards. All a bit too geeky for me, but I enjoyed the game. We one one game each. Still on the games front, thanks for all your suggestions, but I think I will plump for BridgeBaron, a popular US bridge game available for iPad. I love bridge, and this game can be played solo, or on-line (I think). If any of you have play, and know the game I would appreciate any feedback you have.

On the treatment front, it has been a slow day. I had some more red cells to keep my haemoglobin above 8, but otherwise I have been free of the IV pump. They tell me my clotting factors are now in order, and they hope to do the intrathecal procedure tomorrow.

As ever, thanks for all your comments and mails. Improvise the timetable for tomorrow, even if I have to refuels it all!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ian,

    Hopefully you remember me from the CS course at Westfield. Lynne just pointed me to your blog and I am looking forward to catching up on it over the next day or so. All the best,

    David (http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/~djb/)

    ReplyDelete