Saturday 22 January 2011

A short review of Judas Unchained by Peter F Hamilton

This book completes the Commonwealth saga (a bilogy?). After my somewhat lukewarm review of the fist instalment, I am happy to report that this second is a cracker! There are three major plot lines, and they all move ahead at a fast pace. There is almost no overlong description of the wonders of the planets, and the three plots all come together nicely at the end. To my surprise, the final chapter that ties off the loose ends is pleasantly succinct. Some of the action sequences would look good in a film.

So, I would recommend these two books for SciFi fans everywhere. I could not put Judas Unchained down, it was a page turner. However, I doubt I will return to Hamilton anytime soon though, because of the first book.

I think I will move on to The Year Of The Flood by Margaret Atwood. It has a futuristic setting, like Handmaids Tale and Oryx and Crake ((both excellent, as are all here books I think), so it will be a bridge between SciFi and other genres.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment