Sunday 16 January 2011

Lazy Sunday

Today has been a quiet day. I did not sleep very well again, and have been tired and nauseous all day. I had no visitors, but spoke to Les and Rose, and later on Marcio called. I am reading a "real" book left by a visitor (sorry but I don't know who) by Grahame Greene. It is very short and quite entertaining as an interlude to the SciFi epic!

I had no IV drugs today, just the usual plethora of anti-stuff, and the daily Imanitib. I have asked for a sleeping tablet tonight to see if it helps ...

So, I thought I would share our Christmas dinner tradition with you. You have already seen the wines we had this year. We aim to start eating with Champagne and nibbles at 3pm, which is when the Queen's speech is shown on TV. Here are this years delights:



Sorry I cannot rotate the image. Here is Rose enjoying her Champagne:




I am afraid I cannot remember all the different nibbles, but they are all home made and totally delicious!

Having polished off the amuse bouche, we move to the main course, which has varied over the years, but we keep returning to salmon-en-croute, mainly because it eats so well as leftovers on Boxing Day. Here is the feast:




As you can see, the Bienvenue and the Volnay have been appropriately decanted. Both of these wines are an excellent companion to salmon. We concentrated on the White, leaving a small drop to accompany the cheese course.

However, before we have the cheese, we open our presents, giving us time to recover. Dessert is partaken with a glass of Sauternes quite late in the day!

It is a day of grand excess, that we have celebrated more or less in this manner (just the two of us) for many years now. I hope that this Christmas 2011 will be just as good


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect to me! My mum can't cope without an enormous turkey at Christmas. We went away over the festive period one year, and she had to re-run Christmas for us on our return! Would have gone away last Xmas as well, except for a wedding to go to on New Year's Eve, which turned out to be well worth staying at home for. Keep up the excellent blogging. All the best X Sue

    ReplyDelete