Tuesday 25 January 2011

A curious effect of the transplant

I slept fitfully with saline attached, and frequent trips to the loo. I thought I would sleep better after all the procedures but alas no.

This morning I played some more bridge - a totally brilliant game. It is a shame so few of you play. 

Harry came to visit and we had a really good chat catching up and comparing likes and dislikes. He brought me a bottle of Volvic, so obviously reading the blog! Harry was sent a pack describing the transplant procedure, and there is one fascinating fact that comes out of it. Although he is a perfect match for stem cell transplant, Harry is a different blood group to me! Apparently, after the transplant, my blood group will change to be the same as his! It is quite logical when you think about it, since they will kill all my stem cells before injecting his, so my blood will be made by the transplanted stem cells. Also, there is a chance that I may need a stem cell top-up, in which case they harvest some more from Harry and give them to me. This is a simple procedure apparently, and is sometimes necessary but not always (the consultant was vague). Harry had to leave at 2pm. I hope next time Sandra will accompany him.

They gave me my next dose of the Rituximab today, and it seemed to go in OK. I am currently attached to more saline; they are determined to get my kidney indicators lower. Even though I am now drinking over 2L a day, they still think I need the drip.  After yesterday, today was a relatively quiet day for treatment. I am noticing that the number of pills I take is so large, my throat starts to constrict at the thought of it. Some of the big ones are getting hard to swallow, and I never had this trouble before. I think it is like reverse aversion therapy!

This afternoon Patrick came to visit, cycling across London from Chiswick on his super tax efficient bike. Was it brave, or foolish? Patrick brought me a Danish pastry and made me a cup of tea to go with it. I have eaten well today! Dinner was not a curry, but a more Mediterranean style lentil stew with rice. OK, but not as good as the other meals. I have tried a Kosher veggie for tomorrow, and I will report back. Marcio just called for a nice chat; all communications are gratefully received.

As promised, I will share a few photos of Collioure with you. I was lucky enough to ride the Internet boom (it was pot luck in the company I worked for), and with the free money we decided to buy an apartment in France. When we saw Collioure we fell in love.

From My Blog Photos

From My Blog Photos

From My Blog Photos

There are many beautiful walks over the hills. 

From My Blog Photos

The apartment faces South-East, overlooking the Alberes mountains, which are the foothills of the Pyrenees. We chose this because there is a persistent North-Westerly wind called "la tramontane" which can blow strongly. Anyone with a sea view has it in their faces, whereas our balcony is sheltered.

From My Blog Photos

This is the main room. There are two bedrooms, one above and one below this room, each with facilities. The main thing it lacks is air-con. Perhaps one day ...

From My Blog Photos

The apartment is empty because these pictures were taken on the day we moved out to be able to rent it. We also have a more conventionally financed (ie mortgaged!) house in a nearby inland village called Sorede, which I can work from (the apartment was too small). So when you speak to me in July/August I am in my office in France!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ian, that's weirdly fascinating about your blood group changing as a result of the transplant. If you are having difficulty swallowing pills, you could try taking them with something fizzy like lemonade, as this often helps, or even something like fruit juice or a smoothie (but only if this is allowed!)- either of these should help, and worth a try I would have thought! Love the photos of your apartment in Collioure. Think of me today/tomorrow as I will be introducing Rose's parents to the internet; let's hope BT don't mess it up! All the best, Sue

    ReplyDelete