Tuesday 11 January 2011

A short review of number9dream by David Mitchell

The book is set in Japan, mostly Tokyo, of the now or very near future (hard for me to say never having been there!). It wraps up a story of a young man's search for his father with a series of dreams and other stories. In fact, the whole story is rather comic-book in nature, involving gangsters, violence, and the underbelly of Tokyo.

I rather enjoyed it, but I suspect it is more of a boy's book. And of course it also involves the inevitable first love of the hero (in a somewhat cliched sub-plot). The writing is intelligent and entertaining as one would expect from Mitchell. The book does end somewhat abruptly, and I could not tell if Mitchell was trying to tell me something or just felt he had written as much as he could; maybe someone who has read it can enlighten me!

And why is it that everyone thinks the Israeli Mossad have all the coolest gadgets?




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Endsleigh Gardens,Camden Town,United Kingdom

3 comments:

  1. At least I know where to come for my book reviews. Speaking of which have you read Shantaram - its a bloody epic and disconcertingly a true story. I won't spoil it if you haven't read it. Its the best thing I've read (but I read slow) in a few years.

    Currently watching Memento on cable - Confusing/clever but Guy Pearce (not bad for a bloke off of Neighbours) is good.

    Been freezing (negative farenheit) lately, but another storm is due soon so the conditions can only get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it grew on me. I wanted to re-read the story of his grandfather. Eiji's life has momentous swings - the deal with the gods that leads to the loss of his sister, the reunion with his mother &c counterpoints the main narrative about his father. I think his has to end with us not knowing if his love survives. But then, I have read it thrice.

    ReplyDelete