Wednesday 26 January 2011

Professor Khwaja calls

Today I really started noticing the effects that the treatment is having on my body. My muscle tone is disappearing fast (especially calf muscles), and my mouth is getting sore. As my neutrophil level drops to zero, all the bacteria that live most naturally in the mouth, throat and so on can run riot. They have warned me that it will get worse. We experimented with a change to my anti-sickness regime, to see if I really need it IV. I have decided I do. Half of it is psychosomatic, but sick is sick whatever the reason! 

Rose arrived nice and early after having a respite day away from me yesterday. If you recall, she played some golf ... and she won! Well done Rose both for being able to concentrate well enough to play, and for winning.

We got a nice surprise visit from the consultant in charge of my case who is Professor Khwaja. I really like his style; rather than the bluff knowing that most consultants exude (especially in TV series), he has a more studied, authoritative delivery (I like the more traditional consultant types of course). We discussed the next hurdle I have to cross, namely to get into remission. He thinks that because of the type of cancer I have, and the drug regime i am on, the chances are 80 to 90%. It will be another two weeks or more until we know, and unfortunately until then all I can do is wait. If I do not get into remission, there is a plan B alternative course of chemotherapy, but no plan C!

If I do get to remission, I will have  the next stage of treatment as an outpatient. I now know the hotel I will be staying in if all goes to plan - it is a Radisson just around the corner from here. I will send details at a more appropriate time. Needless to say they will have WiFi, so my connectivity will hopefully be much improved.

I tried the Kosher veggie meal for lunch; it was actually salmon with potatoes, and not badly done (100x better than the "normal" hospital food). I was not surprised to get fish, the split is just meat or not meat! Having tried all the options, I will stick with Halal veggie. Just after lunch, Peter and Sharon turned up for a surprise visit, having just had a meal with their son who is studying at UCL, and we had a nice chat. After they left, Rose helped with a couple more crossword clues before she too departed, and I had a small nap after all the excitement! 

In the evening, Marilyn popped in to say hello. She has hurt her back and is off skiing soon, so I hope it improves before then. She told me about her trip to see Strictly Come Dancing live - it sounded really good. My dinner arrived whilst she was here, so she was able to appreciate the difference between the two standard levels. I really must find time to try and influence the hospital to change its policy.

It has been a very slow treatment day; the next busy day is Friday when I get my last chemotherapy for this cycle. My haemoglobin count is borderline, just above 8, such that even standing up is an effort. When it drops below they give more red cells, which I hope to get tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment