Wednesday 26 January 2011

A short review of The Year of the Flood by Margeret Atwood

This is a really brilliant book. It is not a sequel to the equally excellent Oryx and Crake, more of a companion, giving greater insight into the dystopian future world she creates; I wish I had reread Oryx and Crake before reading this.

Atwood's style is engaging, and intelligently written (I am biased - I have read quite a few of her books). She has a great ability to weave wit and poignancy together. As I progressed through the book, I found it harder and harder to put down.

I thoroughly recommend you all to read both books, starting of course with Oryx and Crake.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ian, I have read Oryx and Crake and the Handmaids Tale, but not the Year of the Flood. I enjoyed the first two and will now read the latter, provided the local library has got a copy or can get one in for me. I was in the library reading group, and discovered that, if 12 people read the same book, they will all have a completely different take on it. Some will love it and some will hate it; something I found blindingly obvious would not even be noticed by someone else and vice versa - I have to say it was fascinating! It's a bit like films really - not everyone likes the same thing and we all have different tastes. Hope you feel a bit stonger today if they give you more red blood cells.... Sue

    ReplyDelete