Saturday 29 January 2011

An allergic reaction overnight

Last night I had quite a troubled night. I was on a drip until about 2am, and then they disconnected me, but I could not get comfortable. I noticed a growing dull pain just by my left shin, and called a nurse to ask the on-call registrar to take a look. Whilst the nurse and I were discussing things, I also noticed that my face and neck felt a bit swollen. I took some pain killers for the leg, and tried to sleep, but could not, and the doctor never showed anyway, until about 8:30. By this time my face had swollen a lot, and the skin was very bloated. You would not have recognised me (I did not recognise me). It was clearly an allergic reaction to one of the drugs, similar to a week ago but much more intense. They gave some antihistamine and steroid IV, and through the day the swelling died down I am pleased to say. Now we need to find out which drug causes it - the smart money is on the Glivec, because my dosage was recently increased. To be safe, I am skipping the Glivec today, and l'll have the next one at breakfast (it is taken with meals). That way, if I do react the full day-shift team will be present to look after me.

As part of the treatment, just to be on the safe side, I was hooked up to a nebulizer to open my airways. It was not really needed, but it was a bizarre experience. Whilst the mask was on, Rose arrived, and got to see how bloated my face was. We listened to the tennis (well done Klijsters), finished off the crossword, and had a very pleasant time. As a somewhat delayed effect, the IV Piriton went straight to my eyelids, and I had a power nap whilst Rose watched a large crane assembled, used to lift a large block to a roof, and then disassembled and driven away! Rose also brought in the camera, so that I could photograph the different meals I ordered. Lunch arrived ...

They made a special effort for me for lunch (which was not the point really), but even so the 3rd party meal was still the one I chose to eat. Rose also taste tested, and was more complimentary about the normal meal. Dinner was slightly better, so I think they are at least making an effort. I will email my findings to the catering manager, and make spot-check orders randomly to see that they keep the standards. Of course, such a check might only prove they have a process in place just for me!! I think he should conduct regular satisfaction surveys, but I am too weary to make another suggestion.

Just as Rose was leaving I noticed the pain in my shin again. I have just talked to the doctor about it, and she thinks it is not serious, and I should take painkillers as necessary, but the symptoms have been documented now in case it changes in some way. Not 100% reassuring, but I am cool.

After Rose left I had a nap (in the company of Radiohead's The Bends), and then spent the afternoon playing bridge. I guess gaming can be addictive eh! It bids and plays a little too hung-ho for my liking, but then again, I am not doing very well against it either.

After the excitement of this morning, the rest of the day has been calm on the treatment front. I am currently receiving saline with added calcium (I also take chewy calcium tablets) because the steroids weaken your bones as well as muscles. I do not know if I will be tethered to the IV pump overnight.

I leave you with a few images of our house in France, where I spend the summer working. Unlike this Collioure apartment this one is financed by good old hard work and bank loans! It is in a village about 10km from the coast, nestling in the Albères. You see it as it was in Sumer 2009



The front of the house is on the left of the picture this shows the patio.



Note the beautiful breeze block wall we had done. One day we'll even have it rendered! The house is on the edge of an 80's estate; "très solide" as they say. Not everyone's romantic getaway maybe, but it suits us perfectly.



This is along the front of the house. Then pool is small (6m long, 3m wide) with a swimming pump so we can fool ourselves we might take some exercise.

And here is my office.



You can see it is built into the eaves. There is headroom for me to stand and walk between the desk and the back wall, in front of the desk is low!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Hiya. Just caught up on the last few days of your blog. Love Margaret Attwood - the only one I've read that I thought was only ok was Alias Grace. Have you tried any Katzuo Ishiguro - a fav of mine. I am currently reading Steig Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo and really enjoying it - it was weird to have this reccomended by my 75 yr old mother who left school at 16 and worked in retail all her life. The 'Dragon' films were good although not sure I agree with the casting - there is talk of the Americans remaking the trilogy - hmm not sure.
    I did have a wee chuckle - one moment you're talking of leg pains and then you're listening to the Bends - must have been in deep water lately!
    Was considering applying for a job at UCL but not sure now after your comments about the catering.
    Currently Nick and I are on a viognier kick - ever since a wine tasting trip to the Rhone we have been Condrieu converts.
    Take care LoL Babs & Nick

    ReplyDelete