Tuesday 18 January 2011

Inside the belly of the beast

Today, and I suppose yesterday, are indicative of the fact that I am in the middle of a chemo cycle, and the effects are becoming hard for me to cope with.

I slept well last night, still hooked up to saline, but I felt weak in the morning. The first interesting development today is that my haemoglobin level was very low, and this is why I feel week. So they gave me a unit of blood to help me, and I certainly feel a bit better. They will give me another unit tomorrow I think. I felt sick most of the day, even the smell of lunch made me gag, but they have nutritional milk-shakes called "enshakes" that are easier to keep down. I had a banana flavour this morning.

After the blood, I had some IV anti-sickness and some IV Piriton (like the hay fever tablets you can get) in prep for my next dose of Rituximab, which has just finished infusing (the alarm is buzzing as I write). The anti-sickness stuff seems to have worked though, because I managed to eat my dinner (rather grandiosely called pasta provencal, you and I might call it macaroni in tomato sauce).

It has been a good day for visits and calls. Rose came early, and then Christine arrived. She is about to join her feller skiing in Snowbird in Utah for 3 months - nice work if you can get it. And then Babs arrived (very good
golfer) bearing many gifts, including a portable DVD player and a few movies. Thank you very much Babs, I look forward to watching something later. When Chris came yesterday, he left me a copy of Bradley Wiggins' tour 2010 diary, which Rose read to me as I dozed off after the Piriton - it is so very nicety be read a bedtime story!

Later on, Patrick, Jeremy and June all called for a chat, which I do appreciate, even though they all called at the same time, causing my phone to complain bitterly and power down!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment