Sunday 16 January 2011

A short review of Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton

As I mentioned earlier this is a hard-core SciFi epic that is strictly for fans of the genre. Although my tastes have expanded over the years, my misspent youth reading SciFi has stayed with me ...

The main story is quite enjoyable, but for my taste the book would be twice as enjoyable if it were half the length. Far too much time is spent on somewhat repetitive descriptions of the different wonders of the new planets that we humans colonize. The two central conceits of the story are that a) we develop "wormholes" to travel instantaneously between planets, and b) we have genetic engineering so that every 40 years people can get rejuvenated (from 60 to 20). This way, people live hundreds of years. Interplanetary travel is mainly by trains, traveling through the wormholes.

Inevitably there are aliens, enigmas, and far too many characters. The story picks up pace in the last third, which redeems it ... Except it just ends! You need to read the equally lengthy sequel to get the plot lines resolved. I think I will pause before I do.

Given the above, if you have time for a large dose of escapism, then I would recommend the book.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment