Tuesday 11 January 2011

The PICC line is up and running

Yesterday I thought I would have to wait until today to see if the PICC line was installed OK, but actually the XRay was reviewed last night and I got another dose of the expensive anti-fungal drug which finished infusing at about 9pm.

Today has been a pleasant day of visitors. This morning my other brother Harry came to visit and kindly gave some blood to be matched for a donor. I am very grateful that I have two brothers! Whilst chatting with Harry, Rose arrived bearing clean clothes. Actually, also wearing clean clothes apparently, as a nurse commented that the room smelled of freshly laundered clothes (and it cannot be me).

I was hooked up to a new (to me) chemo drug called PEG-asparaginase. It took just over two hours to infuse, but once again (touch wood) I do not seem to have reacted adversely to it. There is one more drug I am waiting for which is the Glivec that helps with Philadelphia positive ALL, but my liver is still not ready for it apparently. I have a couple of days off the chemo for now, but enough drug talk ...

Tuesday and Friday are the consultants round, and he duly showed up at about 12:30. Not much to say this time; I think we are all clear where things stand.

Rose left at her usual time, but very soon afterwards Tom turned up to visit. Tom was a key man in my Dublin team back in 2001/2002 and we stayed friends after the project ended. It helps that he has a lovely wife (Venessa), isn't it funny how we sad loser blokes seem to be able to attract smart women! And whilst Tom was here Marilyn came back after missing me yesterday, so a jolly time was had by all (well, by me anyway:). Marilyn is probably the most voracious reader I know, and she is in a book club, but a bit reticent in giving personal recommendations! We did discuss Gentlemen and Players though (spoiling it for Tom should he ever remember).

It was Tom's birthday this week, and he brought me some birthday cake - chocolate fudge cake, and very nice too.

I am going to load a blogging app that claims to support blogger.com to see if it helps me writing the blog, so you will see the results tomorrow (if it is any good). I have nearly finished the David Mitchell and will review later in this blog.

I very much appreciate all your comments and emails, so many thanks. I hope to see some old friends this week, and I am looking forward to it.

Still no appetite for games though; something or someone is going to have to push me ...

No comments:

Post a Comment