Monday 23 May 2011

Tooth extaction

I did not sleep well, despite being disconnected from the backpack.

I checked out of the hotel and went over to Ambicare at 9am, and got some good news - they could do my CT scan sometime before 10, but I would have to wait over at "Imaging". I went over at 09:15, and after a very short wait was taken for my chest CT. I was back in Ambicare at 09:45 and then went for my dental appointment.

Now, I had a "problem" with my upper left 7th. The dentist who extracted my wisdom tooth recommended extraction, and so did the UCH dentist back in January. Both times I declined, as I was in no pain from the tooth. This time, the UCH dentist was insistent that it must be dealt with before my stem cell transplant, as there was a strong likelihood it would become infected whilst my counts were flat. So ...

... at middday I went back to have the tooth extracted. I was feeling particulalry nauseous today, and worried I would gag when the dentist poked around, so she perscribed diazepam as a mild sedative. They were running late, but finally at about 2pm I got the diazepam - great drug! After waiting a while we finaly got to the procedure. The extraction went OK, the tooth came out quite easily and cleanly, but now I have to live with the after-effects for a week or more! This is not something I really need right now, but on the other hand it means things will be better for the transplant. The dentist only does clinic on a Monday, so I have another appointment to attend on the 6th June (that makes three, 2nd, 6th and 7th).

So now I am back home. Many thanks to Rose for coming to pick me up, and for her forebearance whilst I waited and underwent the dental procedre.

I have more drugs than I ever have had, and I thought I would share the list with you to give you an idea:

  • Lanzoprazole: protects the stomach linng, once each day in the morning
  • Imatinib: A treatment drug that rectifies the chromosome balance, once each day
  • Ondansetron: anti-nausea, three times a day
  • Domperidone: anti-nausea, four times a day
  • Cyclizine: anti-nausea, three times a day
  • Itraconazole: prevents fungal infection of the lung, liquid form twice a day on an empty stomach
  • Acyclovir: anti-viral, three times a day
  • Septrin: anti-biotic, twice a day at weekends only
  • Deltaparin: prevents blood clots, one syringe injected each day in the belly
In addition I have an antibiotic and a mouthwash following the tooth extraction, and some cream for the haemorrhoid!

It is not easy to remember to take them all - even with a checklist! As most of them are prophylactic it is not so crucial if I miss one.

No comments:

Post a Comment