Thursday 5 May 2011

Fluids

They were not kidding when they said this treatment involves a lot of fluids!

Last night the fire alarm in the hotel went off at 3am - it was a false alarm. 30 minutes later just as I was nodding off it went off again. Despite this I still got about 6 hours sleep.

In Ambicare, they first hooked me up to a litre bag of fluid. They then explained that I must record my fluid balance (intake versus urinate), and that I must measure the PH of my urine each time. If it is too low I take some sodium bicarbonate capsules. If it is very low I must go in and get IV sodium bicarbonate. I hope this does not happen in the middle of the night! For the next few days I wee into a measuring jug.

During the next few days I will be continually hydrated with saline that contains extra minerals, to make sure I flush the methotrexate. I carry this fluid around in a backpack; currently it is full which is 3 litres of fluid, i.e. 3kg, plus the pump and power supply - it is quite heavy! There is enough play in the line to sleep with the bag next to the bed, but showering and bathing are not possible due to the position of the bath. Oh well!

The methotrexate is a nasty drug, and they did warn me I would feel a bit yukky, and I do. I am going to Prezzo with Rose tonight; I hope I will enjoy it.

It looks like the transplant details will have to wait a little longer.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment