Friday 27 May 2011

Blood

As I have written previously, I am struggling even to go upstairs, and I guessed it was because my red cell count was low. Today, the district nurse came to change the dressing of my PICC line, and to take some blood. The nurse said she would not have time to get the blood analyzed today, so Rose and I dropped the blood samples at my local hospital at about 12.

I just spoke to UCH and they had the results; my haemoglobin is only 7.6! I feel it when it is below 8.5, so this is confirmation of the cause for my tiredness. So, tomorrow (Saturday) we will go to Ambicare, and I will get a transfusion of a couple of units of blood. It will be rather a slow day (it takes a few hours to get the blood, and then 2 hours for each bag to go in), but this will hopefully solve the issue.

I am managing to maintain my weight (in fact I put on 0.2kg), which is essential. The more I weigh before the transplant the stronger I will be after it.

This morning Chris rang for a chat, which was most welcome. I spent the rest of the day watching the golf (BMW PGA at Wentworth).

No comments:

Post a Comment