Wednesday 4 May 2011

Back to Ambicare

Ray stayed overnight, and after we said our goodbyes this morning, Rose took me into London, back to Ambicare. My final home weight was 84.8kg, so a gain of about 3.5kg or just over 7.5lb.

This cycle of chemo is called "intensification". It lasts 28 days, with only 4 treatment days; days 1 and 2, and days 15 and 16, which is a repeat of days 1 and 2.

The main drug administered on day 1 is methotrexate, a drug previously administered in very small doses intrathecally. This time a much larger dose is administered intravenously.; the problem is that it causes urine to become very acidic, which can damage the kidneys. To counteract this they give complimentary treatment to make your urine alkaline. This consists of some pills to be taken strictly every six hours, starting tonight ad midnight, and a lot of IV fluids to flush things through. It normally takes 72 hours for the drug to be flushed through the system. I think I will be carrying the fluid around in a rucksack, as it infuses slowly over the course of the day and night - I will find out tomorrow I guess!

The other drug administered on day 2/16 is PEG asparaginase, which I had on the first cycle. This should be a simple IV infusion for a reasonably short period of time.

The transplant team have gotten in touch with me, and given me information regarding the timetable for the transplant. I will reveal all in tomorrows post.

Now I just need to decide where to go for dinner!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the new round, hope it is successful. Thinking of you as ever.
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheeky Ian leaving us with a teaser. Hope the Ambicare goes well. Lol Babs

    ReplyDelete