Thursday 17 February 2011

A slow day, little progress

I passed a peaceful enough night, but I was disappointed when the orthopaedic consultant did not turn up :(

Fortunately, I am feeling pretty well, and so it is just a rather annoying delay. Rose arrived bright and early, and she shared my disappointment. I went to brush my teeth, and just then the ortho nurse and registrar showed up. Unfortunately the consultant was busy and could not come. The nurse tried to squeeze more fluid from my leg, but nothing was forthcoming. I think the drain has come to the end of it's useful life, but despite their promises to talk to the consultant and get back to me they did not. So the drain is still there, not really doing anything. The ortho nurse is Liverpudlian, and covets my iPad! We had a nice chat with her!

I also did not get to see my haematology registrar, but the SHO did talk to me. She said she would discuss things with the microbiology consultant, and she kept her word. They have decided to stop the Meropenem (broad spectrum antibiotic) to see what happens. If the infection is still in the ascendency in my leg, my temperature will rise. If it does not, it means my White cells are in control. My leg is still hot, but it might be the trauma of having the drain inserted. If my temperature does rise, they should be able to get a blood culture and determine what the bug is, and prescribe a targeted antibiotic.

Ultimately, it is the orthopaedic consultant who will decide when the drain is removed. I really hope he comes tomorrow.

Returning to more prosaic things, today I managed to have a shower, sitting down! It was a bit of a palaver covering up the drain, but it was worth it. Rose also brought clean pyjamas, so I really was a clean bunny. After the shower we went for a walk up the corridor, with me walking unaided. It is a bit if a struggle, and quite painful. Later on, the physio arrived with a walking stick, which makes walking a little easier. We did some exercises, including some standing, but the pain was bad.

For lunch, Rose got a take out pizza again. It was better than last time. Now I am having fewer drugs, I think my taste is very slowly returning to normal. After the pizza, I had some poached plaice and veg from the Kosher menu, and it was also pretty good. The sauce that then plaice was in did not look good, but it kept the fish moist and tasty.

For dinner I had Halal veggie, and it was good. Even though I eat 3 packets of crisps, have two lunches, and dinner, I still managed to lose half a kilo! It is absurd!

As I said, I am taking far fewer drugs than before. No more metronidazole (for the diarrhoea is no more), no more Meropenem. It does make me feel things have improved. Just that pesky drain.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment