Sunday 20 February 2011

Another lazy Sunday

I slept pretty well last night, and woke at six. They do not serve breakfast until eight, but I had half an egg Mayo sandwich to tide me over. I have the same for tomorrow :)

The orthopaedic team arrived, and we collectively decided that the drain will be removed tomorrow. It is still draining fluid, but they think this is normal fluid associated with trauma (like swelling after a sprain), and will dissipate with time and exercise. They will keep me in at least 24 hours after the drain is removed, which means I should be going home one day next week. I will keep you informed as to the exact timetable.

Rose arrived shortly afterwards, and we decided to see if I could make it to the elevator, and maybe go down to the cafeteria for a coffee. However, it was very tiring getting there, and whilst waiting for the elevator I realised I would not be able to stand if it made many stops. So we bailed and went back to my room. After half an hour we tried again, but I only made the reception area before deciding it was not going to happen. Still, it was some good exercise. I am sure we will do the same again tomorrow, maybe a bit more.

I need to be able to walk from the hotel to the hospital if I am to be treated as an outpatient. This is clearly a goal for me to reach. The sluggish recovery of my haemoglobin (which is perfectly normal they tell me) does not help with the exercising.

My weight seems to have stabilised around the 76 kilo mark; try as I might I can't put weight on. It is going to make the next round of chemotherapy worrying.

After lunch I felt very sleepy. Rose read to me a bit, and after she left I slept for an hour or so. During the afternoon, Patrick called for a chat, and he mentioned that yes, he'd watched the Stewart Lee, and that Stewart Lee has a book that he had hoped to get for Christmas (but did not) and it looked quite good.

I had discussed with Rose that I need to start reading again; I know that this years Booker prize winner is available on Kindle, but so is the Stewart Lee ... so I plumped for that, and have started it. It is so far very enjoyable.

Now, the long evening stretches out before me. I am in my seventh week in hospital, and I am looking forward to a change of scenery.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment