Sunday 13 February 2011

Progress with the drain

I had a better night than I expected, with only two diarrhoea attacks. I woke at midnight-ish and watched an episode of Morse, and then slept till 4, and then till 6.

This morning, the orthopaedic consultant arrived with his team to check out the drain in my leg. He then proceeded to torture me by pushing on the leg to see if he could see puss moving. It was really quite painful. He also injected saline and then pulled back on the syringe to get things moving some more (called aspirating). He pronounced that the drain is working, and should be aspirated three times a day to keep the flow going (although thankfully the nurses do not do the searingly painful pushing on the wound part).

The consultant thinks that I should notice a reduction in pain after a few days, and seems pretty confident that the drain will do the trick, and we won't need surgery. This is really good news as the recovery from surgery is obviously much longer. The idea is that as the puss drains, the infected tissue will be under less pressure, and it will allow the antibiotics to start attacking the infection (which they cannot do with all the pressurised puss that is there). So, I have my fingers crossed for a quiet few days of draining puss. The consultant also said it is OK to weight bear on the leg, even with the drain. This means I can make it to the bathroom (with nursing assistance), I cannot put as much weight as I used to be able to! But no more bed pans!

The orthopaedic team promised to return tomorrow morning to check that all is going to plan.

Before I move too far away from toilet issues (you may think I am obsessed by them, and you are probably right), my diarrhoea has steadily improved all day, and I rather hope for few or even dare I hope no nocturnal movements (in all senses of the word).

It has been a busy day for visitors, so Rose took a well earned day of rest.

First in were Chris and Harriet. We had a brilliant chat about lots of things, notably Chris's recent "influencing skills" success with his neighbours and some planning permission issues. Well done Chris! We also discussed optimism versus pessimism (the old glass half full/empty). I am sure optimism is the only rational philosophy; why do a thing if you think you won't succeed? Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose of course. And sometimes you learn from losing! But I think we all agreed that the most successful couples have one of each; two pessimists or two optimists are surely a recipe for disaster of one sort or another!

Next came my brother Les, who told me about my Dad's funeral (Friday). He also sent me a brilliant picture of Dad in his chef's whites exactly as I had pictured him. We both shed a tear! He also brought me a copy of his interview for the UCL archive, which I hope to watch soon, but it is getting late already. Maybe tomorrow. Les left after a couple of hours, and Steve and Margaret arrived.

They have just got back from a holiday in South Africa (lucky so and so's), and look gloriously tanned. I bought them up to date with my highs and lows and then they filled me on what has been happening with them. It was lovely to see them; I am looking forward to visiting them In Cornwall when I am better.

I hope to have a peaceful night.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment