Thursday 3 February 2011

A day of sleeping

A strange day today. I am still trying to come to terms with my situation, to find some positives to concentrate on. Also, I have been very tired all day, falling asleep literally at the drop of a hat. The weekend obviously took a lot more out of me than I perhaps realised.

Rose came for her usual visit, but spent most of it reading to me whilst I slept. They took x-rays of my bad leg late morning, but so far I have not heard any interesting news about them.

My treatment basically now requires that all of the excess fluid in my body is expelled in the most natural way possible, ... and there is still a lot of fluid! It is the excess fluid that also causes the dry mouth that makes eating so difficult. In the meantime they are trying to ascertain if my bad leg has any bony infection, in addition to the tissue Infection. If it does they need to change the antibiotic regime accordingly. Frustratingly, no timing for how long this might take is forthcoming. So for now things are business as usual until further noticed.

The infection at the weekend was made by e-coli. When my temperature spiked on Tuesday, they took blood cultures and did not find any other bacterium. It is quite common for the body to do this apparently, and my body temperature is steady at about 38 or just under, so nobody seems overly concerned. They take cultures periodically and keep growing them to see if anything new turns up that might upset the balance of the antibiotics.

The physio came round with some bed exercises, that I will try my best to perform.

1 comment: