Wednesday 31 August 2011

T+69: Nausea returns

I have started feeling nauseous on a regular basis; in the last few days I vomited twice. We discussed it at the clinic on Tuesday, and there are several possible causes, most likely is still the Glivec. I have restarted a full regime of anti-sickness medication, to see if this gets it under control. If not (by next week), then we will try stopping the Glivec. She assured me that the nausea is both not uncommon, and temporary.

My kidneys are losing the battle against the ciclosporin (the immune suppressant drug); my creatinine level is slowly creeping up. Accordingly, the doctor has reduced my intake of ciclosporin from 75mg twice a day to 50mg twice a day. It was in the plan to make this reduction soon, so bringing it in a bit earlier should be OK. Reducing the level of immune suppressant means that I may develop graft-versus-host-disease (GVHD), which will be a skin rash or diarrhoea, so I am slghly nervous. On the other hand, I am keen to get off the ciclosporin as soon as possible.

On Sunday Rose and I played the par 3 course, and I played all 9 holes from the tee, walking all the way. I didn't do too badly. On Monday we played the main course, with me in a buggy, hitting an approach from the hundred yard markers on the fairways. I got tired at the 13th, and managed only two more holes after that. My aim is to be able to play the course from the tees, but for the foreseeable future I will need a buggy; my haemoglobin is still only 9.5. The doctor says it will take many months to recover, and will likely never get back to the level it was, but should be enough to lead a normal life, and to exercise normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment