Wednesday 17 August 2011

T+55: First steps to fitness

The Nintendo Wii arrived at the weekend, and I set it up on Saturday. Since then, Rose and I have been learning the exercises and playing the odd game. We have Wii Sports/Sports Resort and Wii Fit+ ...

... so I am now feeling the effects of trying some of the muscle and yoga exercises - my arms, legs and abdominal muscles ache! And I only did a handful of the exercises once; it really emphasizes to me how out of shape I am after 6 months of chemo and a bone marrow transplant.

Yesterday I (re)started taking Glivec. I am not sure why, but my consultant said it might do some good. I need to ask more (and I will next clinic), but anyway after taking my morning meds yesterday I promptly vomited. It became clear that the Glivec was to blame, so today I took some anti-emetic drugs 30 mins beforehand, and took the Glivec with my breakfast, and it did the trick. They have advised me it may take a couple of weeks to get used to the Glivec. Before the transplant, I was taking it every day, so I am surprised it had such a bad effect on me.

At the weekend we went to visit Kim and Marilyn and see their new kitchen (very nice); Paul and Raksha also came and we had tea and cakes. This was good for me as I had three cups of tea! thereby keeping my fluid intake high as I still need to drink 3 litres a day.

Today we had lunch at the garden centre! This is because Rose had a two-for-one offer, and gets free coffee every month, so it was a cheap meal!

That's about it. I am sleeping pretty well now, and hope that the Wii will help build back some muscle tone. I am a bit paranoid about being near other people, and try to stay outside as much as possible. Fortunately, although the summer here is not great, it has still been warm enough to sit in the garden when visiting or when visitors come here.  I would love to get through this without picking up a viral infection from someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment