Thursday 4 July 2013

Disseminated varicella zoster virus

I have "disseminated VZV". VZV is the chickenpox virus, which normally resurfaces as shingles when it recurs, but for me it has recurred "disseminated", which means that the virus is in my bloodstream. Basically, I have chickenpox!

My health is OK. I have some nerve pain in my back and across my stomach, but it is low grade enough to forget about when otherwise occupied. After being told early on that I would be allowed to leave the room, now I am told I cannot. This is rather annoying, but I don't think I can fight it.

My liver function tests are not perfect, so I am going for an ultrasound of the liver later this morning. In preparation for this I am nil-by-mouth (but only for four hours).

The registrar who admitted me has just visited. They will not discharge me until the virus is negative in my blood, which will not be before the weekend. I must confess the prospect of spending another 5 days in here is a bit depressing. Also, he says the neuralgia may last weeks, and can get worse after the rash has cleared up! However, we can increase the dose of pregabalin accordingly ... if the pain can be managed to its current level, then I will be OK.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment