Monday 2 April 2012

T+284:The new cancer centre at UCH

After my visit last Thursday I was asked to come back to the clinic today, and here I am. It is the first day of the brand new McMillan Cancer Centre and things are pretty chaotic, especially since I do not have an appointment! I got here early, and luckily I bumped into my medical team in the reception, and they are sorting things out.

They have WiFi here, so I can blog directly. I am sat in the waiting area on the fourth floor, with a rather gaudy floor covering, very teenies!

Originally I was supposed to come to the clinic on Thursday, and then have my intrathecal the following Tuesday. However, I have just seen the consultant, and she would like to see me in 10 days time, and not this Thursday. So, we have rearranged the intrathecal for this Wednesday, the 4th! I must have a blood test within six days of the intrathecal, and they can do this test today, so it all makes sense as it will save an extra trip back here just to give blood.

I am to stop taking the steroids, as they think the rash is probably not GVHD after all! I did not bother to write this before, but I have had a similar looking rash before, back in the late 80's, and it has reoccurred a couple of times since. The doctor thinks it is just as likely that this is the cause of my current rash. This rash was somewhat tentatively diagnosed as Lichen Planus (if you look at the picture on Wikipedia, I do not have the large blotches, but I have the small spots). It normally disappears after a few weeks, especially when exposed to sunlight, so we shall see.

My blood results from today were good; haemoglobin 11.8, platelets 208, neutrophils 4.65 and lymphocytes 0.8.

I am now waiting to give a second blood sample for the clotting test for the intrathecal ...

No comments:

Post a Comment