Wednesday 4 April 2012

T+286: Intrathecal

They gave me an appointment time of 09:30 today, but rather unsurprisingly when I arrived there was no record of it in the main reception. I came up to Haematology daycare and luckily the staff recognize me (amazing when you consider how many people are coming and going; they said "we don't remember everyone, but we remember you" - I am obviously once seen never forgotten :):).

After much searching and clicking they eventually found my appointment ... for 14:00! Since it would waste another thhree hours of my day to go home and come back, I decided to stay here and work. The WiFi is good and I brought my laptop with me just in case this might happen. Also, they have let me sit in one of the comfy "treatment" chairs (the new building has all new chairs and they are very nice) because they are not too busy yet. I can see the nurses struggling with the new IT system as I write - it is not impressive. I wont name and shame their supplier on this blog, and I know that all office moves are difficult, but I really think that they could have done a little better.

Having said all that, the treatment room is fabulous compared to the old Victorian hospital we used to be in. It is large, bright and well equippped. Each treatment chair has its own TV! I spent many long hours in Ambicare sitting in a chair recieving treatment, and I think the new facilites here are fantastic.

Now I will try to do some work whilst waitng for the dreaded intrathecal ...

They turfed me out of the chair at 12:00 because a real,patient needed it, and so I got some lunch. I came back to the reception at 2pm, and the doctor arrived, but told me there had been a bit of mistake with the prescription and the drug (methotrexate) was not ready. He ordered it from the pharmacy right away, but it meant another two hour delay. In the meantime I went over to the main pharmacy for a resupply of drugs. Eventually, the methotrexate arrived, and the procedure was done. This time, the doctor was very good, and I experienced almost no discomfort. All my previous intrathecals were done with me lying on my side, curled into a ball to stretch my lower back, but this one was done with me sitting up on the side of the bed, bent over forwards over a chair. it is a slightly less dignified position, but clearly has the same effect of stretching the lower back.

I am still in the hospital, just finishing my forced relaxation period after the intrathecal before heading home. A very long day in the hospital!

As usual, all of the staff here were very helpful and pleasant, especially the nurses, many of whom know me quite well by now. I have said it before many times, but I cannot praise them highly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment