Sunday 13 July 2014

Of needles and nerves

These posts become less and less frequent, coinciding as they do with my clinic visits. At some stage I will just not bother to write any more, and the story will end, but seemingly not now!

I realised this week as I was driving to the hospital that it has been three months since someone stuck a needle in me. This is the longest interval since October 2010. You get used to it! I am healthy, and in fact have flown abroad twice without getting an infection, so there was not much to say in the clinic. From the blood they took they will do a BCR-ABL test as usual, together with a ferritin level to make sure that the venesection was indeed successful. My next visit will be six months from now, in January 2015. When I first visited the transplant clinic they told me that they will continue to monitor me at least once a year for the rest of my life; seems like soon I will be at that frequency.

The nerve pain in my left toes continues to be the most significant after-effect of the chemo. I have been taking 300mg of Gabapentin twice a day for the last three years. Recently, I have tried to reduce this to once a day in the evening, with some success. I hope one day to be able to live without this drug. I also still take antibiotics twice a day, and will do so for two more years, but this will be much easier to stop than the Gabapentin.

No comments:

Post a Comment