Friday 11 April 2014

Positive Outlook

I had another checkup at the clinic yesterday, and had a rather upbeat discussion with my consultant.

Two weeks previously I received the latest results of the venesection I have been having (blood-letting to you and me) at my local hospital, and my ferritin levels are normal. They will check the level once more in three months just to make sure it did not rise back above normal, but hopefully it means no more venesection.

The last two times I flew (in January and March) I got quite ill when I came home, and I wanted to know if this was more likely to happen to me because of the immaturity of my immune system, and if there was anything I could do to prevent it happening. My consultant told me that although my immune system is not as "knowledgeable" as you would expect in someone of my age (i.e. it has seen fewer viruses), there is nothing that can be done and I should forget about it and just get on with life! We went on to discuss the chances of a relapse of the leukaemia ...

When I was first diagnosed, I was told that the 5 year survival rates were 40%. Yesterday, my consultant said that because the type of cancer I had was very aggressive, the vast majority of relapses would occur within 6 months to 18 months post transplant. It is almost 3 years since my transplant, and whilst there is a chance of a relapse, she said it was so small that it was almost negligible. In other words, my condition is as good as it gets, and my life expectancy should be more or less the same as any other man of my age and general health; I am far more likely to die of something else than a relapse of leukaemia. You will notice that I am dancing around the word "cured", as all this is against a backdrop that my BCR-ABL test results continue to show a weak positive (meaning the abnormality has not gone away). But I did leave with a very positive outlook on life.

In March we went on vacation to Mexico to meet and greet the grey whales that swim into the lagoons on the pacific coast to breed and birth. We planned this holiday whilst I was in hospital in 2011, and finally were able to go this year. It is a unique experience, as the whales swim up to the boats and play (they like to be splashed and petted). Here is a selfie with a mother and baby whale ...


1 comment:

  1. Great liberating news: your own exodus has been a journey to freedom. Our prayers did the job. You know who you should thank on Passover.

    ReplyDelete