Friday 10 February 2012

T+232: Neutrophils recover

Today I visited the hospital as planned, and the blood-test results were actually very positive (I responded well to the GCSF). My neutrophils have bounced back to an impressive 4.0! In addition, my haemoglobin is up to 12.6 and platelets over 200. My lymphocytes are also above 1.0, but since I received a dose of them on Monday I am not sure it means very much. I did wonder if the result on Monday was due to a machine error, but they double check all the tests in the lab, and the result was accurate - something caused my neutrophils to crash, maybe a viral infection that has now passed? We will never know.

However, the doctor repeated to me that during my recovery my counts will fall from time to time, and the cause is not easy to determine; although I am in good health now, I think that it would be unwise for me to travel until I have a second positive blood-test result to show that things have settled down again.

Since I have no travel planned for the remainder of February, I will return during the first week of March for my next clinic appointment.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ian. Great news about Friday's results.
    I saw this quote by Karen Duffy and thought of you - "I still when I wake up hit the ground running; and having an illness, I'm only one of hundreds of thousands of people that live with an illness, and I'm just in awe of the bravery and dignity of the people I see at the hospital". Take care. Love Babs

    ReplyDelete