Sunday 9 October 2011

T+108: My first week at work

The week passed very pleasantly. I find I am able to work 8 hours a day with no problem; I can see that before too long I will be back to my normal 10+ hours per day!

I had my first Thursday clinic this week. I still have the phlegm (2 weeks now), but the doctor said we should let it clear up without drugs, and it may take some time. Because I am more at risk of infection, I will be having a flu jab this year - I booked it at my local GP surgery for October 30th (the earliest they have).  I have stopped taking the ciclosporin, the immune suppressant drug. This is another milestone passed, as it means my donor immune system can fully recover. Apparently this does take some time, so I am still more at risk than normal.

I hope that my new immune system has killed all my original stem cells. They finally took blood for the mixed chimerism baseline. I do not know when the results will be ready, but it takes some weeks I think.

I drove into London by myself for the clinic, and it made me rather tearful as I was driving the same car (a Toyota IQ) on the same route and parking in the same car park that Rose used all those times she visited me in hospital. She really was a superstar, and her visits were the highlight of my time in hospital.

Aside from the phlegm (which is only mildly annoying), I feel very well, almost back to normal; I am now able to drink half a bottle of wine (or more) with dinner! This is the best definition of "nomal" I can think of :) This means that I may make less frequent posts to the blog (bi-weekly perhaps, to coincide wth the clinics).

I cannt sign off without mentioning the rugby world cup. The French certainly deserved their win over England, and Wales looked really good in all areas. I am disappointed that England lost, but playing against England  always lifts the spirits of our opponents! This was never more true in this case - France were so poor against Tonga, but so good against us. The semi-finals will be interesting ...

No comments:

Post a Comment